What does your current home security system look like? Let’s assume that you at least have a basic home security system. If you don’t, then by the end of this post, you will know exactly where to go to get one
It is important to realize that every 13 seconds in the United States, a burglary happens. You don’t want you or your family to be next. These are straight facts. The most horrific part is the effect that a home invasion will have on you and your family.
According to the FBI’s most recent public data, you can see that over $3.9 Billion was literally lost because of burglaries in 2014. Basically, that would mean that the average burglary victim will lose at least $2,551 as the result of a home invasion. And, let’s not forget those who are losing so much more than materialistic things.
This comes along with a certain amount of trauma. This is both physical and emotional trauma that comes from being the victim of a home invasion. It is difficult to repair your peace of mind after something that traumatic. Many victims struggle with sleepless nights and have children that scare easily after an event like this.
Seven Home Security System Hacks
That’s why we want to help you find the solution to your home security system needs. It is clear that you can’t stop a home invasion. However, there are 7 simple tricks that can severely reduce your chances of becoming a victim.
1) Doors and Locks
- Use a quality knob-in-lock set with a dead-bolt latch mechanism.
- Use a solid core or metal door at entrance points.
- Use a heavy-duty deadbolt, with a one-inch throw bolt.
- Install a wide-angle peephole. This way you can view your entire entryway.
- If you move into a new house or apartment, be sure to change the door locks. This is because you don’t want the previous tenants to be able to come in without your permission.
- Anytime you buy new locks, it’s important that you remove and destroy the model stickers that come on the package. This is because many manufacturers only have a small number of tumbler combinations per model. The idea is that if you buy a two sets of locks, one for the front door and one for the back and they have the same tumbler combinations, you will be able to open both of your locks with the same key. That’s handy, but, if you just throw the box into the trash, a thief can literally find the box and make a trip to the hardware store and buy a lock with the same tumbler combination, and then he has a key to your home, too.
2) Sliding Glass Doors
This is the type of door that is usually secured by latches only. These are extremely vulnerable to attack. You can increase the security by inserting a wooden dowel metal track blocker into the door track. This will prevent movement.
The most common point of entry during warm weather months. This is because people open their windows and then leave them that way. This occurs at a way higher rate than with doors. An open window that can be seen from the street may be the only reason that burglars target the house. An open window with a window screen that locks is very inviting to thieves. This is because it’s very easy to get into the window quickly and quietly.
Windows actually have latches, not locks. That is why it is necessary to have secondary locking devices. Wooden sticks/dowels inserted into the tracks work well with horizontal sliding windows. If you have vertical windows, you can put the sticks through the frame pins.
For ventilation, you should never open any window more than 4-6in. Be certain that the window opening is not big enough to let someone reach through to unlock the door or remove the window lock.
4) Be a Good neighbor
It’s important to get to know your neighbors. As long as they are trustworthy, then you should agree to keep an eye on each other’s homes. Communicate with each other. This is especially important if you see or hear anything suspicious or unusual.
5) Home Security Lighting
It is very important to use your indoor lighting wisely. When it’s dark outside and the lights are on inside and it’s easy to see what’s going on inside a home unless the curtains or blinds are closed. Even then, it’s clear when people are at home because lights are on and that can create shadows on the blinds or bright spots around the edges of windows where the curtains don’t cover everything.
- If you are on vacation you can set timers for things like lights, radios, and televisions. This will make it appear like somebody is home.
Outside lighting is also important. If you don’t have a home security system, then you need to use timers or motion sensors for all of your exterior lights. This is especially important at the rear of your home. Motion sensors will turn the lights on when a person approaches the building.
6) Identification of Stolen Goods
In the event that someone does break into your home and steal things you will want to make sure you can identify them later in case they are recovered or found to be for sale in a pawn shop or online. You can engrave an identification number on things like televisions, stereos, computers, and small electronic appliances. Keep a list of make, model, serial numbers, and any value of your important items. Keep this list in a separate location, like a safe deposit box or your workplace or with a trusted friend or relative. You definitely want to keep this list as accurate as you possibly can. It will be important if you have to file an insurance claim.
7) What if You See Something or Someone Acting Suspicious?
- Pay attention, and if you see anyone acting suspiciously around your home or your neighbor’s home, then call 911 immediately.
- If your house is broken into, you must call the police immediately. Don’t touch anything that the criminal may have touched. Wait outside for the police to arrive.
- If you see a suspicious vehicle, then write down the license plate number.
Where to Find a Good Home Security
On top of doing all of these simple hacks, you need a home security system in place. If you don’t currently have one, then here’s where you can find the best home security available in Denver, or anywhere in Colorado. You can find the best Home Security Companies at Affordable Home Security. You could try your hand at buying the security equipment and installing it yourself, however, many things could go wrong. You want this for your family’s security, so you don’t want to make any mistakes when it comes to them.